Sunday 10 April 2016

Discontinuous change

John 21:15-17
Jesus and Peter
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.

A wee snippet from today's sermon:

This Easter season, I've identified with the disciples more closely than ever before.
I've felt more keenly their disorientation, their fear, their uncertainty - because that's where I am.
For 20 years I've been a parish minister and my whole identity has been defined by that.
Now I'm floundering.
And I've been called to walk with others in their floundering.
God surely has a warped sense of humour.
The picture in our gospel reading this morning, of the wounded Jesus on the beach, feeding his wounded disciples speaks to me in a whole new way this year.
Jesus doesn't wait until we've got it all together.
Jesus calls us as we are to feed his sheep today.
And he promises to sustain us in a changed and changing world today as the disciples whom he loves, whom he encourages and whom he nurtures.
Even when we lose sight of who we are and what we are about, Christ loves us and feeds us and trusts us to feed his sheep today.
In Christ we are loved, forgiven, healed and made new.
We are commissioned to Feed his sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed