Saturday 24 September 2011

Nostalgia

We drove for a while this afternoon behind this old car along the coast. No idea what vintage it actually is but it has clearly been lovingly cared for. I couldn't believe how narrow the tires are. As we approached the village, the driver stuck her arm out of the window to indicate the direction she was turning. What a joy to drive out of sheer pleasure rather than the necessity to get from one place to another, usually in a hurry.
Tonight I am musing on whether driving something more sedate that requires TLC and nursing along might encourage slowing down and paying more attention to detail. Taking pleasure in the journey as well as the destination. Encountering God along the way.

6 comments:

  1. I suspect this is really sad of me, but that is an Austin 7, aka the Baby Austin of pre-war years. The perils of being a car nut clearly at work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, not sad at all. I'm happy to be enlightened. It was a pleasure to travel behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *pouts*
    ...but it won't fit in my Christmas stocking...

    Actually, this one is my fantasy
    car :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, stupid html... here's the link:
    http://www.mathewsons.co.uk/shop/product.php?xProd=285&xSec=6

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh huh. I look forward to spending my stipend on just such a beast one day :D

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed