Monday 2 May 2011

God weeps tonight

I awoke, as did much of the world this morning, to the news that Osama bin laden had been killed in the early hours. All through the day, the news has carried further details of the killing operation and reported on the celebrations ensuing on the part of many of those directly affected by acts of terrorism perpetrated by bin laden's regime. I know that I would feel differently if one of my loved ones had been a victim. Instead, I feel sad that those of us who condemn violence are yet celebrating violence. And I abhor the message that such actions pass on to our children who are our only hope for a peaceful future. One who practiced evil has been eliminated but, in his elimination, what further evil has been set in motion? And how do we break the cycle of violence that prevails?
These words of a hymn by Shirley Erena Murray keep going through my head.
God weeps at love withheld, at strength misused,
at children's innocence abused
and till we change the way we love, God weeps.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Liz. Puts into succinct words much of what I have been feeling today also.

    P

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed