Saturday 6 November 2010

When autumn leaves begin to fall

Someone told me recently how sad they feel at this time of year, when the trees start to look a bit stark and the ground is covered with leaves. The vibrant colours that others see are, for her, depressing shades of gray.
I've always loved that song Autumn Leaves. I learned to play it and appreciated the melody of it before I realised it had some beautiful words too.


The falling leaves drift by my window
The falling leaves of red and gold
I see your lips, the summer kisses
The sunburned hands I used to hold

Since you went away the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song
But I miss you most of all, my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall


Melancholy words, for sure. But words that speak of beauty in loss - of sweetness in memories.
Autumn speaks to me of richness and depth and colour. And, even in the dreich days, of a God who is faithful through all the seasons.



No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed