Thursday 7 May 2009

The end of the church as we know it?



I've always been proud to belong to a "broad church". Having grown up in the church heavily influenced by conservative evangelical teaching, for which I shall always be grateful, it came as something of a relief that, when I "outgrew" that, when I realised that discerning God's word for today isn't something all bound up and neatly packaged but, rather, an ongoing discipline that taxes God's people at every turn, I was afraid that I would no longer fit in - or be welcome. To date, that has not been my experience except on a few occasions. Of course there are places where my "youth" and femininity are met with disdain but, nevertheless there has still been room enough if not to find a comfortable slot then at least to rub alongside. A few conversations these past weeks, however, have got me wondering if all that is about to change. The Church of Scotland is going to return to the issue of sexuality, this time because of an ongoing dispute in the Presbytery of Aberdeen. Journalists are having a field day with some choice phraseology and are being given plenty of fuel by the more vitriolic opposers of homosexuality. There is a rather more balanced discussion and an interview with the minister concerned here. Of course we've grappled with this issue and skirted around it on other occasions in General Assembly and in other forums. This time, it seems as though allowing individuals to act as their conscience directs or as they faithfully discern the will of God in different situations to be, will no longer suffice. We are being called to decide and then to conform or to desert. There are people who are much more eloquent than me in outlining the biblical and theological arguments (these are not the same). But, if I may sum up my position simply: The God who walks with me every day, whose hand I discern at work in all of flawed creation, is a God of immense and extravagant love. And Jesus Christ whom I call Lord and in whom I trust for my salvation came to simplify that love, calling all, turning away none who had even the faintest glimmer of faith. That is why I believe the Church of Scotland, an earthly institution has to remain broad and has to embrace all regardless of faith or sexual orientation or even theology! That applies to all members of the Christian community and we should not demand of leaders what we would not demand of others. I am more than happy to make room for those whose opinion differs from mine. The question is: Will they be happy to accommodate me?

5 comments:

  1. It's no easier south of the border, Liz. Well done for keeping up a stand for tolerance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz. I've been rather busy and hadn't caught up with this blog entry. The more voices that speak out for a broad church the better. Your final point is spot on. I've been having that same discussion with others. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You raise such excellent points, Liz.

    (The scene in your photo stirs my heart. In more ways than one. We don't have such old things in my part of the world - things that speak of past work, past people, past activity, past worship. I imagine it when it was new with human beings coming and going and wondering how they dressed, how they sounded, the rain and sun, the issues of their day which compelled and mystified them. Thanks for this. Where is it?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherie,
    thanks for not judging. And I love that you're intrigued by the sense of history of the picture. Its on the Island of Tiree, one of the Inner Hebrides - we're headed there for a few days in July. Escape

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed