Tuesday 23 September 2008

The church catholic

                                             coffee.jpg
I'm spending 36 hours at a National Church conference debating the review and reform of Presbyteries. The morning did not get off to a good start when I arrived to find two huge male (of course) colleagues blocking the coffee dispenser by having a gossip right in front of it. When I finally managed to edge my way in and found it was empty, they were quite indignant at my asking them whether they knew if there was more on the way. Ahh.. the church at its best. I finally did manage to track down some fresh coffee and the day proceeded much better than it might otherwise have done. Gatherings like this always make me a bit edgy to be a part of this national institution - even if I am being consulted about its reformation. Sometimes I wonder if it can really be saved. And then I remember my calling to serve a God who delivers the impossible and my mission to be Christ to all, one person at a time. But only after coffee!

3 comments:

  1. This made me laugh... and yes we can save the world (and possibly even revive the Church) but only if we've had coffee first..

    Amen to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we don't need to save the institution - trouble is the institution is usually the last thing to crumble. We just need to remember what we're here for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang on in there valuing the right things, Liz. I have the same feelings about the C of E most of the time.

    Hope you told your colleagues to wake up and smell the coffee - it sounds like a moment to deliver that line!

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed