Monday 11 August 2008

The apple never falls far from the tree


"The apple never falls far from the tree" or, as we say in Scotland: "Well, they don't lick it aff the grun' " A good friend and colleague "preached me in" to my new charge yesterday. He talked about how folk would bring their sick friends to line the streets wherever the apostle Peter was so that, as he passed, his shadow might fall upon them and bring healing.
It can be daunting to think of the shadow that we cast, of the influence we have on others. But it can also be exhilirating to remember that, even without knowing it, we affect people. And so, on all those days when we feel discouraged. when we struggle to think of any good that we have achieved, we take comfort in the hope that we have made a positive contribution simply by being ourselves. I certainly hope that my shadow is one that brings a healing love in this new beginning in Ayr: Castlehill.

2 comments:

  1. That's a mischevious face if i ever saw one! I hope you continue to influence people in Ayr with your special way of encouraging them to know god without them feeling they are being preached to. That's a special gift. Every blessing to your family in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'll certainly do my best - and leave the rest to the big yin!

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed