Tuesday 8 July 2008

Doctor Who?

The Church of England Synod yesterday voted for no compromise in the election of women bishops. Now, a way forward has to be found for those who cannot accept this ruling. I often wonder if the Presbyterian system of government in the Church of Scotland, which this year marked 40 years since the first women were ordained to word and sacrament, merely conceals issues that are there anyway but simply aren't talked about publicly.
Without wishing in any way to trivialise this massive debate and the pain and soul searching it brings, I was surprised at my reaction this morning when I heard on the radio that there is a groundswell of opinion that the next Dr Who should be - gasp - a woman!
Maybe my horror is more to do with the fact that Amy Winehouse's name is in the frame. But my hope is that the glass ceiling in the tardis remains intact. Perverse or what? Prayers for those in the C of E - and in the BBC who struggle with such decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed