Wednesday 16 July 2008

Bats in the belfry

I got a panic call to go to the church today. The cleaner had found something small and furry in the Laird's loft. When I investigated, at first I thought it was a tiny field mouse that was injured, so not scurrying. But, on closer investigation, I discovered that it was a baby bat. Since they are protected, I decided to leave well alone. I went back tonight to check that it was OK - and discovered 4 bats - maw, paw and the two weans. (The mother is pictured - baby is sooo tiny) I just hope they will sleep through the organ playing on Sunday and not terrorise the congregation.
So I think I can now add a new string to my bow - that of protector of bats! My role here has been well varied - everything, absolutely everything, is the minister's job - the buck stops here. That seems to be a recurrent theme in the clergy blogging community just now - the expectations on solo pastors to fulfill all manner of roles. After all, we're paid to do it, aren't we? There's just no rest for the wicked.

4 comments:

  1. I am sure that I read somewhere that bats are tone deaf!!!!
    Don't fret about the organ playing disturbing them Liz.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know the best humaine way of getting rid of bats.
    ?????????????????????
    ?????????????????????
    ?????????????????????

    Baptise them and then you will never see them again.

    hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed