Wednesday 4 April 2007

Stones of some standing


Standing stones fascinate me. I will happily trek miles to view these ancient relics of our past. The mystery and the legends surrounding their origins and their use simply add to their attraction. This stone circle, around 5000 years old, stands at Loch Buie on the Isle of Mull. It took me several attempts to find it and, on my first visit, I thought a nearby kerb cairn, pretty impressive in itself, was the stone circle. I only discovered my mistake when I got home and it was a whole year before I could make the trek again and marvel at the real thing.
How often do we settle for less when, with just a little more striving, the real thing is within our grasp?

1 comment:

  1. 5,000 years old!! Oh my, I'd be trekking right there with you to stand there, and marvel, and wonder.

    Fantastic.......and awesome.

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed