Friday 30 March 2007

Do trees scream?


The Presence of Trees
by Michael S. Glaser
I have always felt the living presence of trees
the forest that calls to me as deeply as I breathe,
as though the woods were marrow of my bone

as though I myself were tree,
a breathing, reaching arc of the larger canopy
beside a brook bubbling to foam

like the one deep in these woods,
that calls, that whispers home

The forest just along the road from us has just been harvested. Its the first time I have witnessed this and I found it really disturbing. In around 3 days the whole forest was cleared. The explanation given was that the trees had reached the end of their 30 year life span and had to be removed. The trees left standing are ones that have grown up naturally and the forest apparently will be replanted. But, meantime, the landscape seems desecrated - although folk living in the houses behind the forest will, for the first time ever, have a view of the river and the hills beyond.

Folk view things in many different ways and a blessing for some is a bane for others. The reminder that whole landscapes can be dramatically changed for ever in moments is of course a reality that many folk live with and experience every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed